Implementation Strategy for Historic Downtown: Our first big project is to define a detailed vision for downtown and a roadmap to achieve it. We need volunteers from the community to participate in work groups for each focus area (Outreach, Promotion, Design, and Economic Development). Each group will identify a proposed list of goals and projects for community review and adoption. With the adoption of an overall strategy, the community will have a comprehensive list of ideas and projects for enhancing our downtown. Some projects will be quick and inexpensive, others will require sustained work and attention.
PROJECTS BY FOCUS AREA
- Recent Projects:
- Introducing ourselves to the community with stories in the Anacortes American (January 2023) and Fidalgo Living (February 2023)
- Kicked off our first ‘friendraising’ campaign – Friends of Downtown Anacortes (December 2022)
- Building our organization by meeting with individuals throughout the community and creating an inventory of business and building owners downtown (September – November 2022)
- Possible Future Projects: Identify “cross agency” challenges and opportunities for shared solutions or projects. Find public – private partnerships to do larger projects. Create a “talent bank” for future projects.
- Recent Projects:
- Possible Future Projects: Evaluate directional signage that guides visitors to our downtown corridor businesses and community-friendly amenities.
- Recent and In-flight Projects:
- Refresh our “Welcome to Historic Downtown Anacortes” arch – (Planning workshop February 2023; launch Spring 2023)
- Took a Building Inventory of the condition of our Downtown buildings (October 2022)
- Possible Future Projects: Figure out the right mix for parking, street use and traffic management. Work with prospective developers to include desirable features that fit into the community. Beautify downtown streetscapes with more plants, flowers and amenities like benches, tables, and bike racks. Bring more public art to downtown. Spruce up some of the plain building fronts with historic building details. Explore alleyway clean-ups and enhancements throughout downtown. Establish public open spaces.
- Possible Future Projects: Find ways to help our local businesses survive and thrive. Find resources for maintenance and renovations. Provide technical assistance in business planning and management. Work with property owners to encourage maintenance, improvement, or renovation of current buildings. Develop matching grants for storefront enhancements.
The list goes on and on. Do you have project ideas to share? We’re eager to hear them! Go to the contact page to send us an email or message.