Downtown Anacortes Alliance (The Alliance) is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. As a newly designated affiliate of Main Street USA, we are creating awareness of our organization and will soon be filing open positions on the Advisory Committee and seeking Volunteers In Action.
Meet our Executive Director
My family and I love Anacortes. My parents moved here 20 years ago, and my kids have grown up swimming in Cranberry Lake, shopping for holiday presents downtown, and waving flags in the 4th of July parade. We just moved here full time, and my kids are starting 9th and 7th grade.
Before this move, I spent 24 years in Seattle working in technology leadership roles at Amazon, IMDb and Alexa. I attended Swarthmore college, where the Quaker tradition emphasized community, collaboration and stewardship.
I enjoy the passionate and kind people who make up Anacortes and I’m excited to work on behalf of this community that has already given so much to my family.
Meet Our Board of Directors
Ward MacKenzie, Chairman and President
- Seattle Native
- Retired and moved to Anacortes in 2017
- Master’s degrees in Social Work and Public Administration
- Work experience in social services, mental health, human resources, budgeting
- Volunteer and consulting experience in business, non-profit and government strategic and business planning
- Non-profit experience in three startups include program design, fiscal management, grant writing, IT
- Community economic development experience with a Seattle neighborhood Comprehensive Planning process, residential and commercial real estate investments, Anacortes Planning Commission
Kathleen Dickinson, Secretary
- Moved from Orcas Island to Anacortes in 2018
- Work experience with HP Labs in printed circuit design
- University of Nevada Arts and Interior Design.
- Developed design/build residential homes in California, Nevada, Washington.
- Founding member of the UC Davis SeaDoc Society (non-profit) on Orcas Island
- Jewelry artist
Chris MacKenzie, Treasurer
- Baltimore native
- Moved from Seattle to Anacortes in 2017
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration (Accounting)
- Work experience managing back office for two residential construction companies
- Community economic development and non-profit experience in Seattle with neighborhood Comprehensive Planning and startup of a local nonprofit community building organization
Frank Jeretzky, Founding Board Member
- Seattle native raised in Seattle and San Francisco
- College of San Mateo
- Moved from Sonoma, California to Anacortes in 1977 where he raised his family who still resides in the area
- Work experience in the construction industry until 1977, then recruited to go to work for a Savings and Loan based in Oak Harbor in 1978.
- Community economic development experience includes banking and finance, residential construction, and serving on the Anacortes Planning Commission
Non-profit experience includes serving on the boards of Skagit County C.A.R.E. and Anacortes Christ the King Church.
Janet Gifford, Founding Board Member
- Walla Walla, WA native
- B.S. Psychology, University of Idaho
- 40 years of experience Idaho and Washington state in corporate, small business, and non-profit communications, branding, marketing, small business coaching and entrepreneurship
- Extensive experience in community economic development, facilitation, and visioning/planning, as well as staff and board/leadership positions in economic development focused on small town downtown development and commercial recruitment
- Programs: Gem Cities Rural Economic Development | Idaho; WA Main Street | Walla Walla, WA
- Leadership and volunteer participation in local non-profit organizations focused on community support, including United Way, AAUW, the arts, scholarship, and mentoring.
Jeremy Carter, Anacortes City Council, Property Owner, Business Owner
Karen Durham, Compass Real Estate
Cynthia Richardson, Past City Council Member, Community Volunteer
Denis Law, Mayor, City of Renton, Retired
Volunteers In Action